My daughter got stuck taking me to a medical appointment in one of those lovely role reversals that happen once your child is grown. I was required to have a designated driver after a pain specialist gave me a couple of cortisone shots in my back. Before transporting me home, my daughter was called into the recovery room where the doctor gave her a few instructions.
As she ever so gently helped me into the car, I asked her how she liked my doctor. “Your doctor. That was your doctor?!” Apparently, she had assumed she was receiving post-procedure instructions from a medical assistant of some sort.
“You didn’t tell me your new doctor was buff,” she retorted. ” Young. You mean young,” I responded. Nope, she meant buff as defined in the Urban Dictionary: very strong or having defined muscles, hot.
I was given the chance to re-evaluate my assessment of my doctor a couple of weeks later, and I found him to be both young and buff! Wow, how did I miss that? Well, I’ll tell you how…during my initial consultation with him all I could focus on was his bright shining youth. Wow, I wondered as I left his office, are the doctors getting younger or am I getting older? Think I answered my own question!
Other clues that you are getting older:
- You have to ask: it’s hot in here, right?! Isn’t it? Anybody else feel warm?
- You can’t remember why you walked into a room.
- You’ve fallen in love with tennis shoes. Your heels are collecting dust…literally.
- You can’t seem to call your daughter’s five roommates by their respective names.
- You don’t recognize your hands.
- You are super excited that Saturday Night Live will soon begin broadcasting live across all time zones!
Just a few reasons you don’t mind:
- You can be absolutely sure that you’ll never be perfect, so no pressure.
- Tennis shoes are inexpensive and being shown on the runway this year!
- It’s nice to be chauffeured around by your daughter.
- You realize that most of the things you spent your life worrying about didn’t matter or didn’t happen.
- Aging is a gift…it’s called life.
Enjoy your day,