Just as the Christmas decorations are going up inside my home, the camellias are beginning to bloom in my garden! If you are not familiar with this wonderful shade loving plant, allow me to introduce you. It’s an evergreen with wonderful glossy green leaves and it blooms in the late fall and throughout the winter. The flowers range in color from white to red with every shade of pink in between! It’s a beautiful thing for a woman who believes in pink.
Tis the season to be festive…inside and out!
My husband, who is one of my favorite things, bought me the Blu-Ray edition of my all-time favorite movie, “The Sound of Music,” and we enjoyed it in all its glory last night. I love a good sing along and I love “My Favorite Things” most among all of the wonderful songs in the film. The lyrics got me thinking about my own favorite things and wondering about yours too! You already know I love my hubby, daughter and doggies! Here’s a list of the stuff I like:
- Raindrops on (pink) roses… Julie was right, they are lovely
- Illy coffee…when we serve it, our guests consistently ask, “Wow, what is this coffee?”
- LaMarca Prosecco…cheers!
- Beckmann’s Three Seed Sourdough bread…you know how I love to cook;) If I have this in the house, I simply top it with an egg, cheese or veggies, and viola…it’s a meal
- My new Kitchen Aid Mini Stand Mixer in pink…it fits in my very small kitchen
- Cream…poured into my coffee, whipped to top my fruit and to spread between layers of cake
- My two favorite destinations: Maui and London…one for relaxing, the other for exploring
- Chanel No. 5 on my pulse points since I was 20 years old
- Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey
- Books, books and more books
- My pink shed, of course!
- Sleep, especially after a spritz of lavender spray on my pillow and a slather of Aerin Rose Night Table Cream on my face…I simply inhale the sweet dreams
I’d love to hear about your favorite things…
My husband and I visited the nursery today, and I fell in love. This inspiring pink camellia has a new home just outside my pink shed!
I vividly remember the dress that got away, maybe in the same way some women remember the man who got away. I can see it and almost feel it…soft pink, perfect pink angora/cashmere blend, long sleeves, mock turtleneck and just above the knee.
My mother had taken me to run errands after school one day. I was about 10 years old. We were racing through Gottschalk’s, a local department store, in pursuit of a crock-pot when I came to an abrupt stop in front of a child-sized mannequin.
“Oh, mom,” I exclaimed.
“Oh, no!” was the quick reply.
My mother was not born with a love of pink or fashion, and I’m quite sure that the dress would have been out of the budget, anyway. But, to mom’s credit, she remembered the shade of pink I had admired and a couple of weeks later sat down at her sewing machine to make me a short, polyester skirt that I wore with a pink, cotton turtleneck in an attempt to re-create my dream look.
Since then, I’ve purchased many pink dresses, bags, scarves and shoes; most of them are gone and forgotten. Yet, nearly 50 years later I still remember that dress… so maybe it didn’t get away after all!
P.S. The first day of Spring is a nice day to shop for the perfect pink dress!