Enjoying an Aperol Spritz at Cantinetta Luca
The word for the day is aperitif (pronounced “ah-pair-ee-TEEF”)… the lovely Latin word for a pre-dinner cocktail that’s usually big on refreshment and light on alcohol. The sun has arrived here on the Monterey Peninsula (and hopefully to your neighborhood), so it’s the perfect time to head to BevMo! for supplies to make one of my favorite afternoon coolers. The Aperol Spritz is orange soda for adults. It’s a sparkly, happy drink with notes of rhubarb and a hint of grapefruit rind bitterness. This is the cocktail that says: the day is done…it’s time to celebrate!
3 parts Prosecco
2 parts Aperol
1 part soda water
1 slice orange
It’s very simple to make; here’s a tutorial for you!
I have some expert mixing notes to offer:
- Adjust the drink to suit your personal taste. If you’d like a more sweet, less bitter taste, lower the Aperol to Prosecco ratio.
- Make sure to use large ice cubes, not crushed ice! This is essential for slow dilution of your drink!
- Choose a chilled, dry Prosecco, but if that’s not handy use whatever you’ve got in your frig: Gruet, Cava or anything French but not expensive.
- Use a Bordeaux glass and add a straw…black is the traditional color. If you haven’t got one, a rocks glass will work.
- MIX WELL!
Ladies, I guarantee you’ll look lovely sipping this spritzer while your man fires up the grill or orders the appetizers!
My husband, who is one of my favorite things, bought me the Blu-Ray edition of my all-time favorite movie, “The Sound of Music,” and we enjoyed it in all its glory last night. I love a good sing along and I love “My Favorite Things” most among all of the wonderful songs in the film. The lyrics got me thinking about my own favorite things and wondering about yours too! You already know I love my hubby, daughter and doggies! Here’s a list of the stuff I like:
- Raindrops on (pink) roses… Julie was right, they are lovely
- Illy coffee…when we serve it, our guests consistently ask, “Wow, what is this coffee?”
- LaMarca Prosecco…cheers!
- Beckmann’s Three Seed Sourdough bread…you know how I love to cook;) If I have this in the house, I simply top it with an egg, cheese or veggies, and viola…it’s a meal
- My new Kitchen Aid Mini Stand Mixer in pink…it fits in my very small kitchen
- Cream…poured into my coffee, whipped to top my fruit and to spread between layers of cake
- My two favorite destinations: Maui and London…one for relaxing, the other for exploring
- Chanel No. 5 on my pulse points since I was 20 years old
- Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey
- Books, books and more books
- My pink shed, of course!
- Sleep, especially after a spritz of lavender spray on my pillow and a slather of Aerin Rose Night Table Cream on my face…I simply inhale the sweet dreams
I’d love to hear about your favorite things…