Enjoying my favorite, a maple bar, at San Luis Obispo Donut Company (SLODOCO)!
I’ve lost twelve pounds since I began my journey to strong seven months ago and people are starting to take notice. When asked for my “secrets,” I am happy to share the diet of my own creation. I call it the “Donut Deny Myself Anything Diet.” I’m not into deprivation; I’m an “eat drink and be merry” Italian with a passion for pasta, wine and donuts. And, I’ve found that I really can have it all…in moderation. Here’s my plan:
- I employ the 80/20 or 90/10 (I’m not good with math) rule. In other words, most of the time, I eat clean.
- I refuse to give up alcohol, but I drink in moderation. I sip slowly.
- When I want a treat, I have a treat and it’s usually the real thing, not a faux, low-calorie knockoff. The idea is to feel truly satisfied.
- I am 100% committed to weight training and regular cardio.
This brings me back to donuts…
- Donuts are a destination! I do not keep them in my home; I travel South* every couple of months and I always enjoy wine and a donut or two along the way!
As Michelle Pfeiffer put it:
“Eat well, exercise and get lots of sleep but make sure you indulge occasionally. At my age I think, what the hell, and eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut.”
My new approach to eating allows me to maintain a healthy weight without giving up two of the great joys in life: celebrating and eating. I’ll never be the woman who goes to a birthday party, but skips the cake. I’ll always ring in the new year with bubbly. Pasta will always be on the menu in my home once a week. And, I’ll just ignore sexy Sue at the gym when she yells, “No Donuts!” before my trips to San Luis Obispo. That’s just how I roll.
P.S. Even Winnie loves a good donut!
*A trip from Northern California to Southern California would be a real waste if it didn’t include wine tasting and other treats!